Why to give Kindle Books as Christmas Gifts
Everyone knows that books make great gifts, and digital books are especially nice because they are:
- Inexpensive – most Kindle books are under $10. Some are much cheaper!
- Environmentally friendly – no physical production or transportation “footprint.”
- Fast – forgot to shop in advance? Order online and have the gift delivered instantly. You can also schedule the delivery for later, if you are shopping early.
- Convenient – shop from home, in the proverbial pajamas.
- Abundant – you can find almost any title on Amazon.
- Easy to send – you only need the recipient’s email address.
- Free to deliver – you don’t have to pay postage or stand in line at the post office.
- Clutter-free – many of us have plenty of “stuff” and limited bookshelf space.
- Personal – we share books that we think other people will like.
- Easy to read – you can read Kindle books on a tablet, phone or computer. Or even on a Kindle.
- Returnable – if your recipient already has the book or is not interested, they can exchange it for an amazon gift card of the same value.
How to Give a Kindle Book as a Christmas Gift
Amazon has two options for gifting kindle books: they will send a personalized email and code directly to the recipient, or they will send it to you so you can print it out and deliver it yourself.
First, find the book you want to send. This is a good one!
Click on the “Give as a gift” button:
To send the gift directly to your recipient:
Your recipient’s email address does not have to be the one associated with their amazon kindle account. You can personalize the gift with a message.
If you would like to send the gift later, you can select the delivery date from the drop-down menu:
Be sure to preview your message:
***As with all of your own kindle purchases you will get the notification that your purchase is complete. Note that it does not say they emailed your gift to the recipient. It says they sent it to you. Don’t worry. If your gift was scheduled for immediate delivery, they sent it. You will get a verification email.
This is what your recipient’s email will look like:
When they click on the link, they will be asked to sign into their amazon account. They will be sent to the the Kindle Gift Center window, where they enter (copy and paste) their gift claim code into the box.
When they click on the “Go get your gift!” button, they get this page:
After they click “Accept Kindle Gift”, the book will be in their kindle library and they get the usual “thanks” page:
You will get an email notifying you that the book has been claimed.
You can also check your Amazon account, under Digital orders, to see if it has been claimed or not.
To deliver it yourself:
If you want to give a Kindle book as a gift but add a more personal touch, you can have Amazon send the email code to you.
You can dress up your email by adding pictures or more text and then forwarding it to your gift recipient, or you can print it out and enclose it in a card for mailing.
The rest of that process is the same as the first option.
It’s not hard to give Kindle books as Christmas gifts … it only looks complex because I showed so many screen shots from the perspectives of both the giver and the recipient! The step-by-step instructions make it a very simple and quick process.
By the way…
A person could, of course, look up the price of the book on Amazon, but the price is not shown in the gift card or claim windows. If the recipient does not want the book, they can exchange it for an Amazon gift card of the same value (in which case they would learn the value of the gift).